THE LAW FIRM / HISTORY OF THE LAW FIRM

Dr. Frank Neubauer had already been admitted to the bar association in Vienna before Austria was occupied in 1938. He started the law firm on returning from emigration in 1950. In 1968, he was joined in the firm by his son, Dr. Harry Neubauer, then a lawyer aspirant. The latter took over the firm on his father’s death in 1973 and continued running it.

In the 1960s and 1970s, the firm covered the entire gamut of matters relating to civil law, e.g. company law procedures, corporate representation, business matters, bill collection, civil actions, appeals before the Supreme Court, real estate purchase and leasing agreements, divorces and estates.

Since the 1990s, the firm’s activities have become increasingly international. The focus has shifted more towards the negotiation and conclusion of agreements for Austrian clients with foreign contractual parties, the establishment of companies, mergers and acquisitions in Austria and abroad, the representation of foreign clients in Austria, and finally, the conduct of several significant lawsuits. Several of the latter involved different countries or national institutions and were connected to the political ramifications of World War II (restitution) and the post-war situation in Europe in general and in Eastern Europe in particular.

This international trend has continued over the past ten years. The law firm increasingly devotes itself to international business law processes, mergers & acquisitions and all ancillary legal fields associated with them, as well as the establishment and management of private foundations under Austrian law.

Although the firm has grown somewhat to keep pace with this constant broadening in the scope of its activity, the partners still apply the same guiding principles they always have, meaning that personnel expansion shall only occur to the extent it is  not detrimental in any way to the special character of the law office and its personal relationships with its clients.